With 6 days left to go in Indiana, there's a lot I want to do, in a very limited amount of time. But I took a good stab at it today--I spent the day in Bloomington, canoeing with Jo. It was perfect weather-sunny, with only a few clouds, and a little bit of a breeze. Not too hot. We were out on the water for a good few hours, and I can tell it now, with my uber-stiff muscles and my red and freckled nose.
It bothers me a little that in the 22 months I spent in Indiana, I did not do nearly as many of the things that I promised myself that I would. Example: I always planned to go canoeing with Jo, but it was not until my last weekend here that I hauled my ass out there. I'm a great one for making plans, but my follow-through leaves something to be desired. Sometimes I think I'd still be stuck in my mom's womb, planning my life, if Nature and doctors had not intervened. If life's what happens when you're making other plans, then I haven't really been experiencing a lot of life.
I'm not going to say "Ooooh, that will change! I am turning over a new leaf!" That's too simple--the wuss's way out. And I don't know that it will change. But I do want it to change...it'd be nice to get out there. Why, what a perfect coincidence that a big migration is occurring in my life! What an opportune time to be less lame! So, instead of saying "I'm not going to be lame, I'm going to change," I am going to set up some (ideally) attainable goals* for the next 6 to 12 months, and see in a while if I have measured up to them. And if I've planned less, and lived more.
*Goals forthcoming. Hold your damned horses!
No comments:
Post a Comment